This morning I read a quote in Michelle McKinney Hammond's The Diva Principle that really stuck with me throughout the day: "Wisdom is not just an accumulation of the right information, it is also the ability to apply it to one's life. Perhaps this is why we are encouraged in Scripture to make sure we get an understanding. Understanding cements your commitment to make wise choices and stick with doing the right thing even when you don't feel like it."
The last part of this quote really speaks to me "...and stick with doing the right thing even when you don't feel like it." There are times when every part of me wants to just stoop to the level of those that are trying to bring me down and give them a serious piece of my mind, but something always stops me right before I reach my breaking point. When you walk in wisdom and know that you're above all those naysayers, it makes it easier to take the high road and ignore the ignorance.
So, what exactly is wisdom? And why should I bother walking in it? I used my favorite website (smile!) and googled the word and I like the definition that Wikipedia had listed the best: Wisdom is comprehension of what is right or true coupled with optimum judgement as to action. So, it's an understanding of what is the correct action to take combined with the ability to successfully execute that action. When you put it that way, how else would I want to walk??!?!? Unfortunately there seems to be many people who prefer NOT to walk in wisdom rather to take the same wrong turn or detour over and over and over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point. You probably even know and love someone like that! We all know that really smart person with no common sense at all. Learning new things is of no use if you're unable or unwilling to properly apply it to your life and your circumstances or if you're unwilling or unable to share it with others.
I learned a long time ago that it does not benefit me to be to proud to reject help or advice from someone that has proven them self to be wise in a particular field. I seek out mentors in different aspects of my life so that I can learn from them and exchange ideas. Seeing where they are and learning how they got there, helps to prepare me for the wonderful journey that I am on. I, also, am willing and able to share the knowledge that I have with others that ask for it (and even some that don't). I know there's a reason why I've experienced the things that I have (just as there is a reason YOU have experienced the things you have). I learn from them and share them with those that I feel may benefit from knowing where I have been but most importantly where I am going!
Have a wonderful evening DIVAS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for being a part of the Divas WIth A Purpose community! I welcome your comments and participation.
Want to keep the conversation going and know when I or others respond? Click the "Subscribe by email" link right beneath the comment box to be notified :)