Friday, September 2, 2011

The Joys of Friendship


I can honestly say I've been blessed with some awesome girlfriends in my life.  I, often, hear women complain about the lack of meaningful relationships with other women.  How hard it is to find and remain friends. I cannot fully relate to them at all.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the number of "friendships" that I have and find it difficult to maintain and communicate as well as I need to.

Let me be clear, it takes a lot for me to refer to someone as a "friend" - that's a very special and reserved term that I don't throw around very loosely.  With that in mind, my diva crew (my word for friend) is full of some truly awesome ladies.

My oldest friend and I have known each other for over 25 years! We're the longest relationship either one of us has had or will have.  We've had our "moments" through the years (what relationship doesn't have it's ups and downs), but we have definitely survived the test of time (and the adolescent years!).

I have friends that I relate to as a mother - they understand that I'm not going to be able to spend hours gabbing on the phone and appreciate a quick email or text saying "Hey, Just thinking about you!".  They know with a tween, a preschooler and a baby on the way - it took quite a bit to send just that.

I have friends that I relate to as a wife - they understand those "married moments" when I need to just vent about how "idiotic and insane" my husband is but understand that I love him to pieces.

I have friends that have known me since "way back in the day".  They know the struggles I've faced and conquered.  They grew up with me and have seen how I've matured and grown into the person I am today.

I have made friends within different organizations and groups that I belong to.  Our passions for different causes have given us a bond to help and support one another in any way that we can.

With these different, diverse women that are a part of my life - I often feel enveloped with love and support.  I feel as though I'm a pretty good friend and that's probably why I've been blessed with so many wonderful friendships over the years.

One thing I have learned (unfortunately, the hard way), is that there are times when friends have to come and go.  I'm sure many of you have heard the saying that there are people that come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.  Being able to distinguish who is who and being able to let go when necessary is all part of maintaining healthy friendships.

So, Divas, here's my question for you:  How do you maintain the friendships you have with other women?  Do you feel it's a struggle or is it something that's never been an issue for you?

Be Blessed, Divas!

3 comments:

  1. I like this. It's encouraging to see someone who has healthy female friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly blessed indeed. To be honest with you, the friendship thing has been somewhat of a struggle for me even though I have had the same friends for years. I’m hoping that changes and that my friendship circle rocks with the awesomeness that should be there. Once again, great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a part of the Divas WIth A Purpose community! I welcome your comments and participation.

Want to keep the conversation going and know when I or others respond? Click the "Subscribe by email" link right beneath the comment box to be notified :)