"Jessica was our first born.
She started our family, and she was our rock...
We called her our little CEO for the way she carefully thought out and
planned everything. We can not imagine our life without her. We are
mourning her loss, sharing our beautiful memories we have of her"
~ taken from statement from Jessica Rekos' family
![]() |
| Courtesy of MSNBC.com |
Six year old Jessica loved horses. She spent her free time reading about, writing about and drawing horses. Big sister to two little brothers. Oldest daughter to two loving parents. Taken from those who loved her way too soon in a crime that we may never be able to comprehend.
Reading the stories of Jessica that have been shared by those who knew her best, she reminds me so much of my little ones. Precocious, outspoken, lively and full of love. I can't even begin to imagine the void left in her family.
This dedication to her was extremely hard to write. Today was one of those days that just seemed to start off wrong and went downhill from there. My kids seemed to all plot together ways to push Mommy further over the edge...and I snapped. Shut the house down. Bed time came immediately when yet another fight amongst my two boys broke out. I needed complete and utter silence to just be with my thoughts and emotions.
Then I realized that I had this dedication post to do...and now I welcome the noise and fights and calls for me to intervene.
Reading the stories of Jessica that have been shared by those who knew her best, she reminds me so much of my little ones. Precocious, outspoken, lively and full of love. I can't even begin to imagine the void left in her family.
This dedication to her was extremely hard to write. Today was one of those days that just seemed to start off wrong and went downhill from there. My kids seemed to all plot together ways to push Mommy further over the edge...and I snapped. Shut the house down. Bed time came immediately when yet another fight amongst my two boys broke out. I needed complete and utter silence to just be with my thoughts and emotions.
Then I realized that I had this dedication post to do...and now I welcome the noise and fights and calls for me to intervene.
"I always felt lucky to be your mom."
~ Krista Rekos at Jessica's memorial service
In honor of Jessica's life , I encourage you to share with your children how they've made your life better and share with them why you're glad they're a part of your life. Remember and reflect on those reasons the next time you're ready to pull your hair out and put yourself in timeout.
This post is brought to you as part of my involvement with The Global Team of 200 - a highly specialized group of Mom Bloggers for Social Good members who focus on maternal health, children, hunger, and women and girls. Many of us have committed to keeping the awareness on the #26Acts of Kindness and the victims of the Newtown tragedy. If you're a blogger and have written a post on either (or both), we'd love for you to link up with us below.
This post is brought to you as part of my involvement with The Global Team of 200 - a highly specialized group of Mom Bloggers for Social Good members who focus on maternal health, children, hunger, and women and girls. Many of us have committed to keeping the awareness on the #26Acts of Kindness and the victims of the Newtown tragedy. If you're a blogger and have written a post on either (or both), we'd love for you to link up with us below.

I read that with such a heavy heart. May her light shine on from heaven.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for the loss to this family and to family friends. What a beautiful child.
ReplyDeleteEverytime I read one of these posts I want to hug my kids. It was just so sad.
ReplyDeleteWe are participating in the #26acts but i'm not blogging about it. It's something we're doing as a family and I just don't feel comfortable blogging about it each time we do it. I don't know why, I'm just weird lol. I love the idea of sharing with our kids why we appreciate them and how they've made our lives better.
ReplyDeleteOh that was so hard to read. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be. It's good you are bringing awareness to this, it's important we don't forget those children.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of the loss of such a young soul. Praying for her and her family.
ReplyDeleteBroke my heart to read this post, took me back to the post I did about the day it all happen.Keeping the family and my prayers... God Bless :)
ReplyDeletesending you all prayers and thoughts. May God Bless you all and have angels to watch over her.
ReplyDeleteYou'll see her again, dear...
ReplyDeletejust like I shall my beautifull,
bombastic, brilliant Janet.
You just gotta pass through dis lifetime
with moxie - she did.
Here's how I see death.
Kids who pass away at a young age
are straight outta Seventh-Heaven,
so they havent been as conformed to
this world as much as older people;
so they getta FREE PASS to see the King.
Us?
We older folks are a-different story.
See if botha youse cannot
read-between-the-lines.
I'll meet me Upstairs someday.
Let's gitta BIG-OL-BEER,
a yummy milkshake for her.
Gotta lotta tok about.
Cya soon...
Yes, bro, I was in a severe auto
Deleteaccident with my girlfriend in '85 -
she was DOA, I was in a coma.
I produced this URL with His help...
and the rest is history.
Both my girlfriend and
your dawter are utterly adorable...
yet, we'll see'm when this lifelong
demise is kaput... F O R E V E R.
Puh-ray-zuh Gawwd!!!!!
So dont worry.
I'll pray for you
if you'll do likewise, cool?
And then if the Rapture comes
in our lifetimes which the Bible
sez it will, we'll be reunited
and it feeels so good... F O R E V E R.
Why be worried?
Know sheNjanet are in Jesus strong arms
All botha youse gotta do is follow the
Path Upstairs... to greet us.
Who can outlive one another?
Wanna bet?
You're on, buddy...