Welcome to The Divatude Challenge 2013!
Throughout the year we will be following some awesome divas as they focus on taking their divatude to the next level in the personal and/or professional lives.
They have agreed to share their goals and progress with us as a way of staying accountable and inspiring others through their journey.
Today I'd like to introduce you all to our first brave diva, Britney. A recent college grad, her 2013 focus is continuing her education, a healthier lifestyle and learning how to manage her finances.
My name is Britney and I am 23 years old. I recently
graduated from the University of South Carolina in December of 2012. GO
GAMECOCKS! I majored in Biological Sciences with a focus in pre-pharmacy. With
such an important milestone behind me, any goals and plans that I set for
myself seem more attainable. This year I plan on taking significant steps
towards my career goal of becoming a licensed pharmacist, creating a healthier
lifestyle and preparing a more efficient budget and savings plan.
My first goal is to get accepted to the South Carolina
College of Pharmacy- MUSC Campus (in descending order), Presbyterian College of
Pharmacy or the Florida A&M University (FAMU) pharmacy program. In order
for me to become a licensed pharmacist, I have to get accepted into a
professional school program. I completed my application for the South Carolina
College of Pharmacy (SCCP) last October and have been awarded an interview
which will take place on January 18, 2013. My application for Presbyterian
College (PC) will be turned in no later than January 18, 2013. And I am giving
myself until January 31st to complete all applications for FAMU.
Once all of my applications are complete, I hope to be awarded interviews at
those schools. After the interview process, it will just be a waiting game to
see which one/ones I get accepted into. Classes will begin in August of this
year and that is when my journey into the professional field of pharmacy will
officially start.
Having limited funds in undergrad and being heavily involved
in extracurricular activities was not conducive to a healthy lifestyle for me
at all. I ate terribly and very seldom exercised. My goal for this year is to
not diet but to allocate my calories appropriately for a healthier me. To do this
I will prepare the majority of my meals at home and track my calories daily
using the MyFitnessPal app on my smart phone. To be realistic I am making it a
duty to exercise at least three times a week for at least 30 minutes a day.
Whether it is walking, jogging or TaeBo, IT WILL GET DONE. As a measurement of
my progress, my goal is decrease my weight by 10% by December of this year. That's not a limit but a challenge to maintain a
healthier weight by changing my dietary and exercise habits.
Finally, l need to budget and create a savings plan. The first step in this plan is, of
course, having a job...LOL. I’m applying to several places and revising my resume
this month to secure a steady paycheck. A problem I have is that I only think
about putting money in to my savings account when I get paid. However, once I
see the money, I don’t see savings. Instead, I see financial freedom which
always runs out on a rainy day. I want to work on becoming a more financially
responsible adult. My goal is to secure a job by February 28th and
put away at least $40-50 each pay check. My goal is to have at least $500 saved before I
begin classes late August. Similar to my fitness goals, my aim is to maintain
the $500 in my saving account. I will not continue to pull from my saving
account every time I need extra cash. I'm realizing I'll never have a true emergency fund if I continue to do that!
In order to succeed at this I will need to create a working, reasonable budget that fits my income, bills and spending needs.
Those are three of my most important goals for the year and I am fully dedicated to accomplishing each one! Talk to you soon!
We will check in with Britney in April! By then she should know which school(s) she's been accepted to and be making progress with her health and financial goals. $500 by August may seem daunting to many, but if she meets her employment goal by February - that will give her 6 months. If she sticks to her plan of saving $40 per paycheck she can attain that goal. My suggestion would be to get a savings account at a bank or credit union and do an automatic deduction from each paycheck directly into her account. That way she never sees the money and doesn't have to remember to do a transfer each paycheck.
I love that at such a young age, she's taking the steps to create a healthier lifestyle! Eliminating/Limiting fast foods and exercising regularly are great habits to start at an early age!
Can't wait to see what the next few months bring for Britney! We'll introduce you to our next participant later this week!
What advice do you have to offer Britney to help her with her goals?


Truly inspirational!! Way to go Diva Britney!!
ReplyDeleteGo Britney wonderful to hear her story.
ReplyDeleteSo inspirational! Best of luck with Pharmacy School!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Britney! Good for you.
ReplyDeleteI wish Britney best of luck in school. I love hearing stories where one wants to better them selves over buying for themselves. It's very rare w/ today's youth. Great job Britney!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck. Keep a journal and do it for YOU!
ReplyDeleteGreat advice!!! So often people make decisions and choices based on what others want for them and they really are unsure or clueless about what they want out of life for themselves!
DeleteThanks! That's actually a great idea. Will do!
DeleteI wish her the best of luck! She seems to have some good solid plans in place for the year.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Britney, I would suggest keeping a journal so you have it in writing or on your computer for daily reminders of your goals. You could teach us older people a thing or two!
ReplyDeleteSo true! Hopefully those older than her will be able to take away something from her goals and growth over the next year as she shares with us!
DeleteMy BEST advice is be gentle with yourself. When you experience a setback just let it be a moment... don't let it defeat you.
ReplyDeleteGreat advice!
DeleteThank you, I know this journey won't be an easy one so I'll definitely remember that!
DeleteWay to go, Britney! First, you are DOING it!!! Congratulations on graduating, and best wishes for your continued studies! My suggestion would be to look for an additional stream of income (in addition to the job that you will be securing by the end of February). I know it is humbling, but consider babysitting or overnight stocking work a couple of times per month to really start padding your bank account.
ReplyDeleteGreat advice! Working those extra hours while you're young and have no dependents will definitely pay off in the long run. Thanks so much for words of encouragement and advice. And CONGRATS to you on your new position!!! Way to go Diva :)
DeleteI wouldn't mind picking up an extra job like that actually. Good tip, thanks!
DeleteAwesome Britney!! Way to go and good luck with your goals!!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed meeeting Britney and hearing about her plans for the future. I think if she continues to work, plan and follow through she will be able to reach all her goals.
ReplyDeletegood luck, you can do it!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Britney. I wish you all the best with pharmacy school.
ReplyDeleteCongrats Britney ... Pharmacist make a pretty penny to :)
ReplyDeleteWow! Big thanks to all you lovely ladies! I really appreciate all of the advice. Quick spoiler...I was awarded another pharmacy school interview at Presbyterian College and it's next week. Wish me luck!
ReplyDelete