Friday, December 9, 2011

Financial Friday: Holiday Spending

Good Morning Divas :) The holiday rush is definitely upon us! There are so many deals running rampant and it is so easy to overspend even while attempting to be thrifty.




Those that shop online know that a good deal comes up quick and you have to jump on the bandwagon to ensure you don't miss out.  However, make sure you're not spending money just to save money - hopefully you caught that :)


My suggestions:

  • Keep a list of people you have decided to shop for somewhere handy - next to your computer, on your smart phone, etc - and refer to it whenever a great deal comes up.  If it's an awesome deal - see who you can check off your list by purchasing it.  If you can't match it up to someone, then pass on it.
  • Create a master budget.  I have separate bank accounts for different spending. Make all your purchases out of a "gift account" that is separate from other budget items.  Do not transfer more than you have pre-planned into the account.  If the deal exceeds what's in your account, then it is not a good deal for you.  Pass on it, but be a good friend and "gift" the information to others by passing the deal on to other family and friends.
  • Create cute homemade gifts and include a note telling the recipient how much they mean to you. I'm the most un-creative person but was able to find lots of ideas just by using Google. I just love those jarred food gifts (I may be weird, I don't know) but I found the cutest little recipe for White Chocolate Chunk Brownies in a Jar - adorn with a pretty ribbon and cute homemade gift bag.
Brownies - Brownie Mix in a Jar

Ok, Divas, sharing time....what are your tips for staying frugal during the holidays? Do you have any divalicious homemade gift ideas to share? Post your comments below. It's the holiday season and I love to give, so two commenters will be chosen to receive a surprise holiday gift box full of goodies. Comments must be posted by 11:59 PM EST on Thursday, December 15, 2011. The winners will be announced on Friday's blog and chosen by Random.org

Be Blessed Divas and remember to be a blessing to others!!!
Michelle




5 comments:

  1. So many people over spend during the holidays and then come January, they are depressed when looking at the bill. We finished our holiday shopping for other people (I'm so not good at shopping), they got practical gifts and everything was on sale.

    I don't believe in spending more than we have. Now for my daughter, I would break the bank, but we're going to be wise, affordable gifts only.

    Christmas is not just about presents, it about telling, and showing people around us that we love them. We don't have to always do that with money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I hope you will share more tips like this in 2012. Just hearing your testimony of getting in a better place financially I know you have some good tips to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh btw shared link on Black Women Rise....love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the support ladies!!!

    Kalley, I definitely believe in being frugal and focusing more on why we celebrate Christmas and not giving extravagant gifts. I'm really trying to instill that school of thought into my kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool tips... Over the past years, after having children I've incorporated, buying a family game( on black Friday) for friends with more than one child so the entire family can enjoy. Most games are no more than 5-10.00. It's reasonable and practical. I don't buy gifts for friends during the holidays just kids. But, I celebrate my friend's birthdays. It's easy on my pockets and it does not put me in the hole.
    I have a set limit of shopping and now that I have 2 children that budget has to stay within that range.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a part of the Divas WIth A Purpose community! I welcome your comments and participation.

Want to keep the conversation going and know when I or others respond? Click the "Subscribe by email" link right beneath the comment box to be notified :)