Divas With A Purpose has become a source of inspiration and motivation. It's about women being driven, inspiring, victorious and having a plan of action to become the best them they have been called to be. With collaboration, we are making our way through this thing called life as women, mothers, sisters, and friends.
Find Your Favorites
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Better Safe than Sorry...Dating 2012
It's amazing what we can achieve when we feel as though we're backed into a corner! That fight or flight instinct just kicks in, adrenaline starts rushing through our veins and I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR becomes our mantra all within a blink of an eye.
A friend recently recounted a story that made me want to just shake her silly (I know I'm not the only person that has THAT friend). She met a guy online and met him for their first date at a busy coffee shop on the other side of town from her home. After an hour or so of great conversation she felt they just "clicked" and she accepted an invitation to his home. WARNING BELLS GOING OFF YET???
Not going into all the details, but she put herself in a situation that became very scary very quickly. Super thankful she came out physically unharmed but emotionally she's a wreck. Her flight or fight instinct kicked in and strength that she didn't even realize she had in her came out.
Dating in 2012 is nothing like dating in 1992 - with the Internet, chat lines, meet-up sites, etc. I encourage all my single divas to be careful, be prepared and be smart.
The best advice I've heard recently - date like it's an interview and you know how many checks are done for most jobs these days, right? Also, when I was still in the dating world, I had a check-in buddy who knew where, when, and with whom I was with. If plans changed, I let her know. We had an "alert" topic to let the other know if things weren't going well and interference was needed.
Whether you're single or married - what's the best advice you've received or given when it comes to safe dating practices?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OMG! I'm so glad I never got into a situation like that! And thank God she was unharmed! But yeah, these days, we hear a lot of scary stories about people who date someone they met online. The dating game may be a lot easier right now because of the internet but people need to be more careful because anyone can just pretend to be nice just to lure victims.
ReplyDeleteIt is not just the internet that makes dating more dangerous now either, though. People are making decisions that they wouldn't have in the past {I.E. women are allowed more sexual and dating freedom than in previous years} and a lot of dates used to be chaperoned. Society has changed as a whole and people need to be very proactive and protect themselves by making good decisions.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that your friend is physically okay. :)
Dawn
Wow, that is so scary! I'm glad she is okay but that is one thing I would definitely not do on a first date. Get to know his friends, and go on group dates before you even get to the point of going to his place. I'm thankful I met my hubby at church and everyone knew him!!
ReplyDeleteWOW scary! Awareness should be brought to everyone attention, it's a very scary matter. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete