Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Preparedness = Savings

This morning was rough for me.  Neither my 4 year old or my 6 month old were cooperating with leaving the house.  Normally, I attempt to get everything ready the night before but lately that has just not been happening.

I dropped them off to the sitter’s to realize that my 6 month old’s diapers were not in the bag. Great!  


Option 1 – drive all the way back home and be about 30 minutes late to work
Option 2 – swing by the Dollar General around the corner from the sitter’s and my job and be about 15 minutes late to work

 

I went with Option 2.  I stocked up on diapers while I was pregnant and they were on sale at the various drug stores – combining manufacturer coupons and their store coupons and reward savings.  I haven’t had to buy diapers since we brought my daughter home from the hospital.  But how much could a pack of Pampers be at the Dollar General???  $10.75 is how much. And that’s for the smaller pack. I was floored and really upset at myself for not at least having my coupon bag in my purse or the car.  I ended up paying about 60% MORE than I would normally pay for a pack of diapers.  Believe me, the thought of taking the hit and driving to my house for the package sitting on the kitchen table ran through my mind.  If I didn’t have a meeting in less than 20 minutes I definitely would have.

Lesson learned – being prepared saves so much money in the long run.  How often have you been on vacation and had to pay much more for a bottle of shampoo or bug spray that was left out of your luggage?

In addition to being mindful of packing their bags the night before, I will, also, be stashing a pack in my trunk for those “just in case” moments.  I’m really trying to force myself to be more organized.  I guess I can’t really blame it on “mommy-brain” anymore but I’ve slacked off a bit lot with pre-planning my shopping trips, budgets, etc.  There have been a few missed items that have ended up costing me additional time, money and effort in the long-run.

Any preparedness tips you use to help keep you organized and efficient?