Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blogger Series Part 1: Newbie Advice

I've had quite a few friends and associates reach out to me recently for blogging advice - why? I have no clue because I still consider myself quite the novice.  However, it really got me to thinking about what I do, why I do it and things I've learned over the past few years as I've gotten more serious about my blogging.

I've decided to start a series of blogger questions to help others out there that may be new with their blogs or considering starting one themselves.  I'd love if other bloggers would chime in with their advice and feedback.


Blogger Question 1:
What's the first tip you'd give to anyone who came to you saying they wanted to start a blog?

Hands down I'd say do it because you truly want to and not because you're looking for a way to generate income or market something.  Your readers will appreciate you being genuine and having relevant posts that that they can relate to.  Yes, having giveaways from time to time is fun and your readers will appreciate it.  However, most avid blog readers are drawn into a blog because they can relate to the topic and they enjoy sharing ideas with others.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, I'm not in it for money. I don't monetize. I just hope people keep coming back because they like what I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! The best reason to start blogging in my opinion :)
      Thanks for chiming in!

      Delete
  2. Hello...as a newbie...I can tell you right out of the gate that the key is TIME! Like anything else if you research and stick to it you will do well. There are a lot of great advice out there for free. I thought about and did start a few blogs several yrs ago but was not committed and threw in the towel. I bought a lot of ebooks and material from ppl and got overwhelmed. Though my blog is not in the money making state, I hope that I will turn it into a full time job down the road. This is a nice blog, I just found it tonight but I plan to visit it and do a lot of reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a part of the Divas WIth A Purpose community! I welcome your comments and participation.

Want to keep the conversation going and know when I or others respond? Click the "Subscribe by email" link right beneath the comment box to be notified :)