Monday, May 28, 2012

Money Monday: Budgeting

Good Morning Divas! I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend and have a chance to rest and relax today.  I urge you all to remember the reason behind today - Memorial Day - and keep the families and comrades of those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for us, our country and our freedoms.

This Friday I was able to host my first budgeting get together with an awesome group of divas.  My intent is to have this become a bi-monthly or quarterly get together to help keep us on track, learn from one another, and have some much needed girl-time!

One of the topics we discussed were the budgeting pitfalls many of us face and how to overcome them.  Many confuse budgeting with balancing their checkbook or just keeping track of how much they spend and where.  This is a key step in creating a budget and sticking to one, but it is not the same thing.

Budgeting helps you to spend wisely, pay down debt and plan for large or special events.
Some of the pitfalls we discussed were:

Negative attitudes or buy-in to importance of having a budget - budgeting is a dirty word for many because it means being more disciplined about your finances and sometimes not being able do the things you really want to.  I urge anyone in this situation to focus on the long-term rewards.  I sacrificed for a year to pay down debt and improve my credit score so my family could purchase a home.  There were some rough moments, but now that we're in our home they were sacrifices well made.

Lack of motivation and/or support

Unrealistic expectations - believing as soon as you create a budget your financial outlook will instantly change

Not being able to "afford" being on a budget - we discussed how having a budget can actually help you have more in the long run because you can allocate funds for entertainment

Not knowing where/what you spend your money on - taking the time track your expenses can help you see where you are spending your money and what things you can trim down or eliminate

Comfortable living paycheck-to-paycheck and/or in constant overdrawn status

It was a great dialogue and I believe we all were able to learn and take something away from it that can help us in our trek to financial independence.  Have any of you successfully overcome any of these budgeting pitfalls or others? 

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic merchandise from your site, guy. I have comprehend your stuff ahead of and you're just too great. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and how for which
    you say it. You earn it entertaining but you just care for to be it wise.
    I can not delay to try more of your stuff. Nevertheless this is really a wonderful site.
    Feel free to surf my webpage : cruises departing barcelona spain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article and right to the point. I don't know if this is

    in fact the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where

    to get some professional writers? Thank you :)
    Have a look at my webpage - spinal tap nigel's classical guitar solo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the most vital information for
    me. And i'm glad

    reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The site style is

    wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers
    Look into my homepage ... euro cup 2012 italy vs spain full match

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic website you have here but I was curious if you knew of any forums that
    cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I'd really like to

    be a part of group where I can get advice from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any

    suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
    My blog ... Homepage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cherished up to you will receive performed

    proper here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject
    matter

    stylish. nevertheless, you command get bought an impatience

    over that you wish be delivering the following.
    ill certainly come more previously again

    since precisely the same nearly very ceaselessly inside of case you shield this hike.
    My web page - sprained ankle pain on top of foot

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your

    site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to
    say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content

    so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
    1 or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?
    Also visit my homepage ... estimatedwebsite.co.uk/thespainforum.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a
    amusement account it. Look advanced to more added


    agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?
    Here is my blog ... Suggested Internet page

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. impressive job. I did not expect

    this. This is a remarkable story. Thanks!
    Also visit my page ... home equity loan com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent ..
    Amazing .. I'll bookmark your

    web site and take the feeds also…I'm happy to find a lot of useful

    information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard,
    thanks for

    sharing. . . . . .
    Feel free to visit my blog post oliver james

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my site so
    i

    came to “return the desire”.I am trying to to find issues to improve my web site!

    I assume its

    good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!
    Also visit my blog post ... Spanish Consulate Chicago Visa Requirements

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written

    by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are

    wonderful! Thanks!
    My blog post - occultblackmetalzine.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
    with hackers?

    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due

    to no backup. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?
    my site > spanish i regents

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to

    send you an email. I've got some suggestions for your blog you

    might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.
    Also see my webpage - blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored at

    work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I

    love the info you provide here and can't wait to take a look
    when I get home. I'm

    shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI,

    just 3G .. Anyhow, superb site!
    Here is my website ... http://topsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled
    blogger. I've joined your feed and

    look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I've shared

    your site in my social networks!
    Also visit my site caudipteryx.pixnet.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great write-up, I’m normal visitor of one’s blog,
    maintain up the

    nice operate, and It's going to be a regular visitor for a long time.
    Here is my weblog :: cambrilssolar.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to
    .net from PHP. I have always disliked the

    idea because of the expenses. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been
    using WordPress on various websites for about a year and am concerned about

    switching to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.

    net. Is

    there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into
    it? Any kind of help would be

    greatly appreciated!
    My web-site Spain Inn Coupons

    ReplyDelete
  18. fantastic points altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
    What would you suggest about your

    submit that you simply made a few days ago? Any certain?
    Also see my website - www.saukaynarca.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I simply could not go away your website prior to suggesting that

    I extremely enjoyed the standard information an individual

    supply to your guests? Is going to be back steadily to investigate

    cross-check new posts

    My web-site; http://lnljns.blogspot.fr/2005/07/el-arte-de-hablar-la-virtud-de-callar.html
    Also visit my site Spain weather conditions January

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for another excellent

    article. The place else could anyone get that kind of
    info

    in such a perfect manner of writing? I've a presentation next

    week, and I'm at the look for such information.


    Check out my homepage :: 4 channel xlr mixer
    Feel free to visit my homepage 4 non blondes spaceman chords lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  21. What i do not understood is in fact how you're

    now not actually much more well-appreciated than you might be right now. You're so
    intelligent. You recognize thus significantly in

    relation to this topic, made me

    in my view consider it from a lot

    of varied angles. Its like women and men aren't

    fascinated unless it is something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs excellent. All the time maintain it up!

    Here is my weblog; 10 Day Weather Forecast Uk Bbc
    Also see my page > 3 mile island accident map

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board
    and I to find It

    really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give one
    thing again and aid others like you helped me.

    my website http://biuro_tlumaczen.x14.eu
    Look into my site : living spain forums Sanlucar de Barrameda

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am no longer certain the place you're getting your info, however good topic. I needs to spend some time learning

    much more or working out more. Thanks for

    magnificent info I was looking for

    this information for my mission.

    Feel free to visit my web-site: momblogsociety.com
    Also visit my page 2011 world series of poker tournament schedule

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being a part of the Divas WIth A Purpose community! I welcome your comments and participation.

Want to keep the conversation going and know when I or others respond? Click the "Subscribe by email" link right beneath the comment box to be notified :)